This day some more Calendula-Chamomile oil infusion is in order.
This will be used to make more Calendula Salve, lip balm, and Soap! as I did for the Santa Supermarket. Which went pretty good.
Although there was lots left over, so I am doing another craft faire and need more supply.
Today, I am using heat to infuse the flowers.
How to infuse oils with heat:
- fill an oven proof bowl/ vessel with the herb - calendula, chamomile and Chickweed used here
- completely cover with olive oil - or jajoba, coconut, sunflower, sweet almond,...
- put in oven preheated to about 225 degrees for 4 hours- too much heat will make the oil turn rancid
- let it cool a bit until you can handle it, then strain with a cheese cloth.
- enjoy the glorious smell. I just WISH I could send you the sweet scent over this blog post!
This is how to make a solar oil infusion:
- Fill a mason jar with calendula (chickweed, comfrey and chamomile are also good for skin)
- cover with olive oil (or sweet almond oil, sunflower, grapeseed...)
- let it sit in a sunny window for 3-4 weeks.
- Strain the oil out of the herbs with cheese cloth.
straining with the cheese cloth
this is gets messy and the smell is WONderful! AND your hands will be baby soft for days.
I am using most of this today for my calendula skin saver salve:
Here is why to use calendula oils on your skin.